What you need
- 1 cup Pauls Double Thick Vanilla Custard
- Pauls Dollop Cream
- 150g butter, softened
- 1 1/4 cups raw sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup self raising flour
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 250g rhubarb stems, trimmed and cut into 2cm lengths (see tip)
- ½ cup plain flour
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 50g chilled butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup raw sugar
How To Make It
- Preheat oven to 170C. Grease and line base and sides of a 22cm spring form pan with baking paper. Using an electric mixer, beat butter, raw sugar, vanilla and lemon zest together for 2 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well between each addition.
- Sift flours and cinnamon together and add to creamed mixture along with half the custard. Beat on a low speed until combined. Use a large spoon to fold half the rhubarb through the mixture. Spoon half the cake mixture into the prepared pan and level surface with the back of a spoon. Spread remaining custard over the mixture in the pan. Place spoonfuls of remaining cake mixture onto the custard and use the back of a spoon to gently spread to cover custard. Top with remaining rhubarb, then gently press rhubarb pieces slightly into the cake.
- Make topping: Sift flour and cinnamon into a bowl. Add butter and use fingertips to rub into flour mixture until mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Add sugar and stir to combine. Sprinkle over top of cake.
- Place pan on an oven tray. Bake 1 hour 15 minutes or until cooked. A skewer inserted into the centre of the cake should remove clean. Let stand in pan 10 minutes, then remove sides of spring form pan. Serve warm or at room temperature with cream.
- If rhubarb stems are very thick, cut in half lengthways before slicing