What you need
- 1 sheet short crust pastry
- 3 tbsp almonds, roughly chopped
- 1 scotch finger biscuit, crumbed
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup (55g) caster sugar
- 4 granny smith apples, peeled, cored and finely sliced
- 2 tbsp port (or similar spirit)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 400g (1 1/2 cup) Pauls Vanilla Custard, plus extra to serve
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tsp cardamom
How To Make It
- Preheat oven to 180°C
- Line a 24cm flan tin with short crust pastry. Cover with baking paper and fill with pastry weights. Blind bake for 5 minutes. Remove filling and paper from tart shell and bake a further 8 minutes. Set aside.
- Combine almonds, scotch finger biscuit, butter and one tablespoon of caster sugar in a small bowl. Spread onto a lined baking tray and toast in oven for 5 min or until lightly browned. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan place apples, remaining caster sugar, port and half the cinnamon over a medium heat. Sauté for 10 min or until apples are just soft. Set aside.
- Combine Pauls Vanilla Custard, 1 egg, cardamom and remaining cinnamon in a medium bowl.
- Arrange apple slices in tart case and cover with custard mixture. Bake for 45 minutes or until center of tart has a slight wobble.
- Remove from oven, sprinkle with crumble topping and serve warm or cold with extra custard.