What you need
90ml Pauls Buttermilk
60g dark brown sugar
½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
½ tsp baking powder
6 tbsp melted butter
2 extra large eggs at room temperature
250g plain flour
1 tsp vanilla essence
3 very ripe bananas
Juice of ½ a lemon
How To Make It
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Butter and sugar a 20cm loaf tin.
- Whisk the flour, sugar, bicarbonate of soda and baking powder together in a large bowl.
- Separate the egg yolks and whites into 2 bowls. Add the melted butter to the yolks and the buttermilk and vanilla essence to the egg whites.
- Whisk each separately until both mixtures are smooth and creamy. Add the buttermilk mixture to the butter mixture and whisk to combine.
- Mash the bananas with the back of a fork with the lemon juice. Add this to the liquids and stir to combine.
- Add the liquids into the dry ingredients, then gently fold it all together being careful not to over mix. Pour the mixture into the loaf tin and gently even off the top.
- Bake for 50 mins to 1 hr or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted into the middle. Allow it to cool on a rack in the pan.