What you need
- 60ml Pauls Pure Cream
- 60ml olive oil
- 2 medium brown onions, finely sliced
- 1 bunch thyme
- 1 tsp caraway seeds
- 150g firm ricotta cheese
- 100g goat’s cheese crumbled
- 125g plain flour
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- Optional: pitted black olives, semi-dried tomatoes
How To Make It
- To make the pastry, combine the sifted flour with a pinch of salt. Make a well in the centre and add the oil, mixing with a spatula until crumbly. Gradually add 3-4 tbsp of water to form a soft, pliable dough. Shape into a disc, wrap in cling film and chill for 30 mins.
- Gently fry the sliced onions in a little olive oil over low heat, stirring occasionally for 10-15 mins, season with salt and pepper, add caraway seeds and half of the thyme leaves, fry for a further 5 mins.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. On a floured surface, rollout pastry to a 30cm circle and transfer to a baking tray lined with baking paper. Spread the cooked onions evenly on the pastry leaving a 4cm edge free. Crumble cheeses over onions with the rest of the thyme (add any of the optional flavourings at this stage). Fold in edges of the pastry over the filling being careful not to stretch and break it.
- Combine the egg and cream, pour carefully over the cheese filling and bake in the oven for 40 mins until golden.